Thursday, February 12, 2009

Good Moring Amer...er, Allan Felix?


Allan Felix is a WEIRD dude. There’s no denying that. But his idolization of Humphrey Bogart may not be as weird as it seems. We all have people we looked up to, or do currently, as the epitome of cool for our life. For me, cool is Katie Couric and the anchors on Good Morning America. 

I "discovered" Katie Couric about a year ago, when she transferred to CBS. I can't say that I listen to her necessarily, but whenever I see her on television, I am encouraged to try my hardest in the broadcast industry. I am a Broadcast Journalism major, so naturally Katie Couric inspires me. The woman became the first solo female news anchor of CBS weekly evening news. Talk about climbing up a ladder. Couric is cool because she did something no one else had done before. Even after CBS ratings fell after her initial move to the evening news, she still does not regret the choice. And she’s not afraid to ask tough questions…or keep asking them when they are not answered. Remember the disastrous Sarah Palin interviews

Other news anchors that are cool in my book are the cast of Good Morning America. I don't know when I discovered them, but I do know that I would LOVE to be an anchor on their show. They report what needs to be reported, but they have a good time too! I think it is cool when people can have fun at their job. The Good Morning America Crew got to go to Beijing for the 2008 Summer Olympics and do their job! Traveling the world is incredibly appealing to me, and that job would take me everywhere. This is the same as Katie Couric, in that I don't really listen to the voices of the Good Morning America crew everyday, but what they do in their job everyday inspires me to find a job that is similar. I want a career that offers variety every day. I don't want to be stuck in a corner office with no windows filing files and staring at a computer screen. I want to be OUT there.

The anchors of Good Morning America are cool because they make their show interesting. I like to see people having fun, and because they can make mornings more interesting than a bland cup of coffee and overcooked eggs, they are instantly cool. Anyone who can brighten my mornings gets to be in my cool book. I also find the anchors to be cool because they are not afraid to make a fool of themselves. This goes along with that sense of confidence that cool people have; what makes you cool is not what you do, but can you pull it off? During the holiday season, the anchors put their faces on ElfYourself.com, and showed America. They did the Papaya Dance on live broadcast, and didn’t seem to care if they looked ridiculous. People like this are cool to me, because sometimes I find that I care way too much about what people think about me. The Good Morning America anchors are cool because they have a certain inhibition that inspires me to just be myself and have a good time.

Heck, Good Morning America invited Britney Spears to perform on their show. That takes guts. And bravery is cool, right?

3 comments:

  1. Excellent choices! Not only are these people that you look up to for your "cool," but they actually motivate you as well. And gutsiness (as displayed by Couric whilst the aforementioned Palin interviews) is definitely cool.

    Here's a parting quote from one of my favorite movies, Drop Dead Gorgeous.

    " Hi. I'm Amber Atkins, and I'm signing up cause uh my two favorite people in the whole world competed in pageants: my mom and Diane Sawyer... Course, I hope I end up a little more like Diane Sawyer than my mom."

    Gee golly, that movie's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, do I have an article for you! This meditation on the meaning of Katie Couric was one of the best essays I read last year. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very curious about one thing. You picked Good Morning America. Why did you pick this morning news show over the much more classic and often more top rating Today Show?

    ReplyDelete